Google
 
Web www.stripclubserver.blogspot.com

Monday, September 11, 2006

For Corey

Today marks the fifth anniversary of September 11. I can still remember where I was when I watched the towers fall. I can still feel the carpet of my living room under my feet, and the smell of the mulberry candle lit on the coffee table. I can only imagine what the people of New York remember.

What I remember more vividly was the woman who was putting up flyers the next day, searching for her husband. She begged, crying into the camera, for anyone who knew anything to please contact her. It was heartbreaking, her sheer panic in the face of the ultimate destruction that embraced the city. She spoke of her children, how they missed their father, and she mourned for the other families. I don't know what ever happened to her, but I pray for her to this day.

This is not about political affiliation. This is not about who did what, who didn't do what, and who could have done it better. It's not about the news, the media, or the propaganda. This is about unity, about togetherness. Today, of all days, we need to embrace and remember.

This is to all the victims, all the survivors, and all the brave, selfless men and women who refused to stand by and watch as their country suffered a blow unbeknownst to the majority of us in our short, self-absorbed lifetimes.

This is for the soldiers, strong and severe in their crisp uniforms. Eyes foreward and jaw set. This is for the parents, bursting with pride and yet simultaniously crippled with fear for the sake and safty of their babies.

This is for Kevin, who cried on my shoulder last week when he found out his daughter enlisted. For Cassidy, who's husband Daniel comes home from Iraq in two weeks.

This is to my good friend Corey, who ships out next week. May he, and everyone else doing their part to serve and protect, know that he is missed, loved, and above all, appreciated.

God Bless,

Waitress

12 Comments:

Blogger Thy said...

i'll pray for him and everyone shipping out.

2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugs the waitress, gulps breath for the next round of tears. What I havent figured out is why the ews stations are playing it all back in real time. WHY???? who could possibly forget that day?

7:43 AM  
Blogger ME said...

Amen to that!!!

10:24 AM  
Blogger First Year said...

Thanks for that post, it really gives us all something to think about.

11:56 AM  
Blogger SkippyMom said...

Thank you for the beautiful post.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your writing and stories, and the one about 9/11 was very well said. I would like to point out, however, that Iraq has about as much to do with 9/11 as, say, Finland has to do with 9/11. I feel for your friends who have loved ones in the army; I just wanted to point out that the post seemed to be linking Iraq and 9/11, when the real issues are the Taliban, Al Queda, and Saudi Arabians, none of which are connected to Iraq. I also feel for the many innocent people messed up and killed in the war in Iraq.

sincerely,

meg

2:02 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

meg, the only thing i even mentioned about Iraq was :"For Cassidy, who's husband daniel comes home from Iraq in two weeks."

Maybe you should read it again, and focus on the part that said "this is not about..."
i'm glad you enjoyed it, but it seems to me that you are putting your personal opinions of things on my post, which was meant to be a solumn tribute to everyone affected by 9-11, NOT a political debate.
Waitress

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my appologies to anyone who may be offended at my statement.

The rebroadcasts of the day of 9/11/01 were in incredibly poor taste, IMO. It seems to me the only reason to do such a thing, pick such a terrible national wound, is to keep people supporting the Iraq war. Scaremongering, I suppose is whatI am saying. no one with half a brain could possibly forget exactly where they were when they got the news of that morning.
yes, its still a festering wound, look how easily it made one poster feel? its THAT kind of political BS that keep sus locked into war.
I think the vast majority of americans diagree with this war and its grounds, or lack there of.
thus endeth my rant.


brush your teeth.
GJ :)

6:30 PM  
Blogger Shiny Blue Black said...

re: your mention of the soldiers

"This is to all the victims, all the survivors, and all the brave, selfless men and women who refused to stand by and watch as their country suffered"

The 'other' side says exactly the same thing ya know.

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very powerful statement - you're a good writer. The stories about the club are great, and if you throw in some pieces like this, it's makes for a good thought provoking read. I do have to say, what a surprise to see the range of your ability, you're much more deeper than I expected from an online blog.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

well thank you, so very much! i really appreciate it, and it's comments like yours that make me want to keep writing.

always,
waitress

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waitress,

I have been thiking about your post, an re-read it as well. It is true that even though there is no link between Iraq and 9/11, it DID lead to to the excuse for the war. The fact that there is no link is just that, a fact, not opinion. However, I realize that you were not really commenting on that aspect, only on a chain of events that lead to you hoping for the safe return of your friend's husband.

Keep up the good work!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Web Site Counters